The Schuylkill Haven site will be closed as of Thursday, May 29, 2014
All activities will be moved to the SCEC-Mahanoy City site as of Thursday. Please call the Mahanoy City site at 570-773-1270 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
Download our Business Services Brochure
- Business Services Brochure4.34 Meg | 10/1/2012
State of the art facilities equipped with the latest technology including video-conferencing units, computer labs with high speed internet access, mobile laptop computer labs with wireless internet access, computers have Microsoft Windows 7 & Microsoft Office 2013 Pro, wireless internet access, digital overhead projectors in every classroom, digital interactive whiteboards (Polyvision brand) in every classroom, and more.
Mahanoy City (1 West Centre Street)
- Comfortable adult-oriented classrooms
- Classroom that can accommodate up to 40 students
- Classroom can be subdivided into 2 smaller classrooms
- Computer lab that can accommodate 20 students
- Smartboards & digital overhead projectors
- Computer instructor stations in each classroom
- Wireless internet access
- Access to printers & copiers
- 60" TV/DVD ceiling mounted units in classrooms
To book the facilities for education and training activities, call 570-773-1270 or email email@example.com to determine facility location and date availability. If emailing include: preferred facility location, what type of activity the facility will be used for, date, time, and any other specific needs. After availability is confirmed, SCEC will send via email or mail Facility Usage Forms to be signed and returned.
Not every business has an employee dedicated to workforce development. Therefore, SCEC staff is available to aid in facilitating workforce development for or with your business to relieve the sometimes burdensome process of leveraging and implementing employee training and development. SCEC partners with higher education institutions and organizations locally and regionally to ensure that your training needs can be met. This is a free service. The only fees that you will pay are to use SCEC's education centers if you choose, see above facility usage fee schedule, or for the cost of the actual training to your selected education provider. In order to identify your business's specific training needs and respond to them, SCEC uses a Request for Proposal (RFP) form that is completed by your business.
The Request for Proposal (RFP) process works as follows:
1. RFP form is completed by your business, the form fields to be completed include any fields that are necessary for an education provider to respond completely to your training request.
2. The completed RFP is sent by SCEC to the higher education providers. A business may elect to not provide their name and remain anonymous to the education providers during this process. Thus, a benefit to using SCEC as your workforce development facilitator so that the process remains unbiased and that the business does not feel pressured to be neither contacted by the provider nor upon return of proposals to implement the training.
3. Education providers return their responses to your request using a provider proposal form. The response form is uniform, much like the request for training, so that your business can evaluate each provider's proposal side-by-side.
4. SCEC provides to your business a summary of the returned provider proposals as well as the original provider completed proposals. SCEC can discuss aspects of the proposals with your business or merely pass along this information for your own review.
5. SCEC during this process can also check with the local workforce development agencies, such as CareerLink and the Luzerne/Schuylkill Workforce Investment Board (WIB), to determine if your type of training activity is eligible for any funding to help defray the training costs. SCEC, if your business is eligible and with your permission, can assist in completing any necessary paperwork for any available funding.
6. SCEC can complete your request by coordinating the remainder of training activities your business has chosen to implement with your selected education provider such as confirming training location, instructor, date and time, final count of employee participants, and even catering if requested.
Essentially tell us what type of training your business needs, we will let you decide what meets your needs, and we will take care of the rest. All your business has to do is show up with your employees on your selected training date and time. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the adobe PDF fillable Request for Provider (RFP) form.
Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) Program
Eligible businesses can contribute to our Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) approved educational improvement organization and receive tax credits. For more information on DCED's EITC program, visit DCED's website.
1. If the business is interested in participating in the EITC program, the business applies directly to DCED. DCED reviews the business’s application to determine eligibility. The business is notified by DCED as to the business’s approval status and the amount of contribution that can be made.
2. The business is approved for tax credits under the EITC program, the business then determines where the contribution should be made. At this point is where the business would contact SCEC. The business will make a check payable to SCEC for the amount of its contribution and send it to SCEC.
3. SCEC receives the business’s contribution. Upon receipt, SCEC sends a contribution receipt letter to the business. The business will need this receipt letter to prove and send to DCED that the contribution was made by the contribution deadline date DCED determines in your approval letter. The contribution and receipt must be dated within 90 days from the date the business receives its approval letter.
4. Where does the money go? SCEC acts as an educational improvement organization under DCED’s EITC program to receive contributions on behalf of Schuylkill County’s school districts. The districts cannot, due to the law, receive program contributions directly. School districts must submit a participation letter each year at the time of our renewal application that they want SCEC to act as their improvement organization. Along with the participation letter, districts must submit EITC projects. Projects must outline what the funds will be used for along with a budget for the project. These projects are reviewed by DCED to ensure that they are innovative educational projects. The district projects must be projects that provide instruction or technology over and above what their regular state budget provides for.
SCEC has participated in DCED’s EITC program as an educational improvement organization since 2001, the first EITC improvement organization established in Schuylkill County. We are also the only improvement organization that passes the contributions made by businesses directly onto the school districts for their own identified and approved projects. With business contributions made to date, SCEC has distributed approximately $400,000 to the districts for innovative educational projects.
Previous completed projects include:
- Purchase of graphing calculators
- Drafting laboratory
- Family reading night program
- Smartboard for math instruction
- Webpage/video design program
- Student literacy program
- Smartboards for general instruction
- Math achievement program
- Be cool be in summer school program
- Interactive polling devices for instruction
- Advancement placement programs
- PLATO learning network software
- Science lab equipment
- Ipads for science achievement
- Laptop labs for science achievement
- Math lab software
- Study Island software
- Vocational program items: hydrostatic pump, kiosk charting machine, and Simms mannequins
- Elementary news broadcast program
- And more
To make make a contribution to SCEC's educational improvement organization through DCED's EITC program, notify SCEC by email at email@example.com that you have been approved by DCED to make a contribution and receive tax credits.